For most of us, Christmas will feel very different this year, with virtual communication stepping in to help us connect with loved ones. Though there's much to mourn, we invite you to embrace a slower, more low-key Christmas with festive activities in the home. That's why we’ve teamed up with our friends at Farmstand to bring you a series of nourishing recipes that'll help you get into the festive spirit.
Farmstand deliver healthy and sustainable meals to your doorstep, made with ethical, fresh ingredients at their kitchen in South London. They’re on a mission to feed the world more healthy and planet-conscious food. Visit their website to find out more, and receive a special 20% discount code when they launch.
Cranberry, Dark Chocolate & Orange Blondies
A favourite in the Farmstand kitchen, now with cranberries, dark chocolate and a touch of orange zest for that festive aroma.
4 small eggs
200g light brown soft sugar
140g coconut oil
120g dark chocolate
90g coconut flour
80g dried cranberries
½ teaspoon baking powder
Zest of ½ an orange
Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 160°c (or gas mark 3) and line a small tray with baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, combine eggs and sugar until creamy and light.
- Add melted coconut oil and whisk until well-combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour mixture into tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Cut into 9 pieces and enjoy!
Mushroom & Chestnut Stroganoff, Sage & Onion Pearl Barley, Caramelised Brussel Sprouts
Creamy mushroom and chestnut stroganoff, with sage and onion pearl barley - with a side of caramelised brussel sprouts and roasted red onion. Serves 4.
For the barley
240g pearl barley
100g diced white onion
20g olive oil
8 large sage leaves
Pinch of salt & black pepper
For the stroganoff
30g vegetable oil
300g sliced white onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
300g button mushrooms
100g small flat mushrooms
80g cooked chestnuts
120g creme fraiche/coconut milk
12g dijon mustard
24g cornichons, chopped
10g soy sauce
4g smoked paprika
Pinch of black pepper
4g chopped flat leaf parsley
For the brussel sprouts
400g brussel sprouts
200g red onion
30g olive oil
4g smoked paprika
To prepare the barley
- Rinse pearl barley in water to wash off excess starch.
- Simmer in a pan of water for 20 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- While the barley is cooking, place diced onion in a separate pan with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low to medium heat until soft (approx 5 minutes). Try not to colour the onion!
- Chop sage and add to the onion, cook for a further 1 minute.
- Drain barley, add to onion and sage and mix well.
- Set aside for later.
To prepare the stroganoff
- Place sliced onion, oil and salt into a pan and cook slowly on a low heat until caramelized. This should take around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the button mushrooms in half and flat mushrooms into quarters and add to your caramelised onions, along with the garlic and chestnuts.
- Add all remaining ingredients but the parsley and cook on a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped flat parsley and give it a final stir.
- TIP: If your stroganoff has become too thick, add a little water to bring back to desired consistency.
For the sprouts
- Preheat your oven to 180°c (or gas mark 6).
- Peel outer leaves from brussels.
- Slice into two or three (so you end up with slices appx. 2cm thick).
- Peel and roughly chop onion.
- Toss brussels in ⅔ of the olive oil and put them in your preheated oven.
- After 8 minutes, add your onion to the sprouts dish and leave to cook for a further 7 minutes.
- Remove dish from the oven, drizzle with honey, add paprika and salt. Toss together until well coated.
To serve, divide the barley between 4 plates, top with the stroganoff and place a generous helping of sprouts on the side.
If you're spending Christmas alone this year, your stroganoff, barley and sprouts will keep in the fridge for up to four days, if stored in seperate airtight containers.
Are you a plant lover just like us? Do you like sharing your love for plants with the whole world!? Tag us on Instagram at @bloomboxclub and receive an exclusive discount! Just slide into our DMs and we'll make sure you get looked after. Plant love is life! xx